September 2009 - September 2011

The Journey from Beginning to End

Wednesday, February 03, 2010

Twenty Weeks

Dear Mommy and Daddy and Sister 1 and Sister 2 and Brother and all you other Family Types,
 
Hi.

I be good.

You be good, too?

That be good if you be good, too.

Right now I am just waiting for stuff to load because the internet here takes forever to upload or open a page, of which I am doing both at the same time, so it done be difficult.

Here is the highlight of our week:

Friday night- One Wedding, Two Baptisms!

The wedding was supposed to start at seven, and the baptismal service at 8, eat at 9 and be home by 9:30.

Since we are in Brazil- Wedding started at 7:30, baptism at 9:00, and we ate around 10.

Ana Paula and Joseneire are now legally married, and Ana Paula was baptized. We are still working with Joseneire. Also, Elcy was baptized, and she was the first person I got to personally baptize. It was pretty awesome.

Fabio and Suelen had the interview last week, but they didn’t feel up to the baptism yet last Friday. This Saturday is our goal to have them baptized, though. We are wracking our brains trying to find what we can do to help them. They are just scared for some reason. It's so difficult sometimes, but I have a good feeling they will.

Elder Seastrand was sick on Saturday from the food at the wedding. How do I know it was the food? Because Ana Paula, Joseneire, the Bishop, Fabio and many other people who were there were sick, too.  I think it was the vatapá, but I don´t eat it, so I wasn’t sick. Ganhei.

For Elder Sam P. :  It is alright to bring a suitcase to Brazil that is between 43-50 lbs. Make sure you have extra room for things they will give you in the CTM. Do not worry about trying to speak the language in the CTM. They will give you two small green grammar books in the ctm. Study the smaller one as much as possible, and learn the conjugations. Don’t worry about bringing a rain coat unless you really want one. Bring lots of One dollar bills. Brazilians like to trade for those. Bring a Memory card reader so that you can send home pictures easier, and set your camera to not take too large of photos so you can upload faster. Umm… what else… Look for Irmão Diniz and Irmão Arnaldo and tell them hi for me at the CTM. Don’t worry if you start to go crazy in the CTM, because the field is freedom. Sing in the Choir every Sunday and Tuesday, it helps to learn pronunciation. If I remember anything else I will send it next week.  (Editor's note: Sam P. - Let me know if you read this part for you from Elder Tenney - you can just leave a comment on the blog. Hope you are excited and getting ready - Elder Tenney is very happy to know you are heading his way!)

It was a bit of a slow week, but it's also the last week of the transfer. Transfers are next Tuesday, so we will see where I am next week. Chances are I will be staying here, though. President Jayme likes to keep people in the same area for longer periods of time. Who knows, though. It's all up to the Lord.

This last Sunday I was studying in chapter 6 in Preach My Gospel about knowledge. I wrote a poem-like thing that is just a bunch of scripture quotes to help me study it. I will type it up for you in a different file.

I think this is basically it.

Oh wow, Nick is already leaving! Time is absolutely flying by. I am already at 5 months out in a couple of weeks. I'm almost ¼ of the way done. It's too fast!!

Yes, we have hammocks, but I prefer sleeping on the bed. All apartments have hooks in the walls for them. It's pretty cool. I don’t think I am going to buy one until I am in my last transfer, though. They are a little big to carry around.

Haven’t got the package yet.

There are not many vegetables here. Lots of fruit. Lots of bread, rice and beans. I have been sticking to cereal after the raman noodle stuff, and yogurt. Mmmm….

I laminated my Preach my Gospel cover. It was starting to get trashed.

A cat got into our apartment through the open window and went through our trash and then left. 2nd time this has happened.

Love y’all!
(Editor:  This was the edited version of his email this week.  He had lots of requests for things he needs, including a memory card reader so he can download his pictures and email them to us. So, look forward to more pictures on the blog soon).