September 2009 - September 2011

The Journey from Beginning to End

Friday, April 16, 2010

Week #30 & Day #200: Ups & Downs

Oi!

How are all of you doing? It has been a while since I sent anything I guess. I is sorry for this. This last week or so have been really rocky with me and my companion. It started out with small things, one big thing, and then it went spirally-roller-coaster downhill from there. Thankfully, with the help of President Jayme through emails and the transfer interview, things are getting better now, and I think now, at the end of the transfer, we are actually starting to work again.
 
Solimoes Stake Center

Evening @ at the Solimoes Stake Center
 
Priesthood Session in English - Hurray for Technology!

So anyway, Conference was super awesome! I especially liked the talk on Patience that President Uchtdorf gave! That Saturday was day 200 on the mission for me, so that was pretty cool. Not much happened the last week that I didn’t say very much. I watched Conference in English with 3 other Americans. We played a game in between sessions called Settlers of Zarahemla, which is the Mormon version of Settlers of Catan. Sweetness. 

I got the package from EDDIE!!!

(THANKS, Eddie!!!
from both Elder Tenney & Mitch's Mom:)
 
It was filled with wonderful goodness that saved my life over these past couple of weeks! I have need to write letters to many people.  It's just so hard to find time. I have one for Sam ready to be sent off, but it has been a while since we went to the Correiros. (Post Office).

I also got a letter from Josh the other day. He is still the crazy man child I remember. I need to write a lot of letters….

Fast Sunday was pretty good. The ward leaders don’t know that since we had conference, the next Sunday should have been fast and testimony meeting, so I was all excited to bear my testimony this last Sunday and… it was a regular Sunday. Oh, I have to give a talk next week. yay…
 
Elder Tenney's Study Area

Everything he needs....
 
So, as of right now, I am an English teacher. We are starting up an English class to find more investigators and stuff. I am really excited to do this. I am thinking that if I can organize this class really well over the next few transfers, I will have an effective English class I can teach in 6 weeks every transfer. Also, to teach English using Portuguese, I have to know how to explain it in Portuguese, so my vocabulary is growing like crazy during the prep time I have.

We have some “moley” (lazy, or not fulfilling their part-I forgot the word-in Portuguese it's "compromissos") investigators. We will have to cut two families this next Sunday if no one goes to church, because these people I have been teaching since Elder Seastrand, and they still haven’t gone yet. We are giving them plenty of chances, but every week is the same. 2 of the people have baptism dates that we have to change now if we keep teaching.

Overall, it's all been pretty tranquilo here in Castanheira. We got a new cell phone from the mission, so that was cool. No word yet on Mother's Day.  I will ask President Jayme next week after the fireside with Elder Jeffrey R. Holland. (Next week, 20 and 21 of April).

Speaking of which, yesterday, I got the H1N1 Vaccine. 13/April/2010.  It was free!

07 April 2010
Some of the American elders in Manaus East and North Zones
 
Hope you are all having a marvelous time!